July 12, 2020

Gemstone Jumping spider


Blue Jumping Spider

Almost every time I visit the balcony, I find something new. Today I spotted a shiny insect on my night-blooming jasmine(Raat Raani). It was a jumping spider! This time in a peculiar shade. It had had striking patterns on it- Shiny blue with black stripes and white legs. It was a bit more slender compare to other Jumping spiders I have seen. It is not called "Gemstone" Jumping spider. But because of the mixed colors and luster, it looks like a gemstone. 
I put it on the floor with the leaf to observe it under the eyepiece. It was more aggressive and active than the usual jumping spiders. But all of them have one thing in common: they all move their fangs the same way and dart at my eyepiece. Of course, they would; it is so intimidating for them.
Jumping spider darts at the eyepiece

When I put it back on the night-blooming jasmine leaves, it clamped down on pests--white flies.

White flies(Trialeurodes vaporariorum)are tiny 1 mm long flies that dwell under the leaves. They feed on the sap of the leaves, draining out the nutrients. Nature takes care of itself; this time, with the spider.

Jumping spider eats white flies.


Share and comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment