July 18, 2020

Leaf-cutter bee

leaf cutter bee
 Today morning, while watering my plants, I spotted a bee on the periwinkle flower. It plucked a petal and took off. I was astonished! After a few minutes, it returned and this time started chopping a leaf from the butterfly pea plant, and took off with it like it was a magical carpet from Arabia. This was weird! I googled it and found out that it is the leaf-cutter bee. 

Leaf-cutter bees make their nests in holes of trees or rotting wood. It is monsoon so probably it had made its nest in some rotting piece of wood. They are very crafty. The bees roll the leaves and fill the holes where they lay their eggs. 

The bee visited my balcony for 3 days non stop- tearing a leaf and returning after 4-5 minutes. I was inspired by its hard-work. I must say though- it made a mess with those cuttings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment